Saturday, February 13, 2010

matriarch in winter

Once upon a time I lived with my grandma.
We played Boggle and Scrabble and ate a lot of tapioca pudding.
She helped teach me how to drive.

I called her yesterday on my way home from school .
We're used to her repeating the same questions,
repeating the same stories,
but this time halfway through the conversation
she confused me with my cousin:
"remember how I was your teacher in Sierra Leone?" and a little later,
"so your husband preaches once a month?"

This made me a little sad.


But this is Grandma, dancing (for the first time in her life!)
at my cousin's wedding two years ago.
A memory that makes me particularly happy.

2 comments:

  1. that is sad. :(

    but yes, mary lou can break it down like nobody's business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me tear up a little*. Grandma and I usually have a very circular conversation that involves a mention of Dan preaching about once a month and how I never appreciated her teaching in Sa Lone.

    But I will always remember Grandma who used to tell us unique and special bedtime stories every time we spent the night and sent us letters with illustrations.

    ReplyDelete