Monday, August 31, 2009

a new chapter

This morning I set off the for the first day of orientation at Columbia.
First day jitters. Will I make friends? Will I do well?
But my mind is set at ease by like-minded colleagues;
my track is comprised of women passionate
about human rights, women's heath, education, empowerment.
Yes, my track is all women. Familiar. Like midwifery.

But I am not quite the independent 23 year old I was
when I started midwifery school, freshly returned from Kathmandu.

Tonight, instead of heading to a bar for "networking,"
I took the subway back to 96th St., popped into Whole Foods
and made dinner for my husband.

"Something simple," he had requested.
And so it was penne, tossed with sauteed garlic,
onion and spinach, and a cup of ricotta
topped off by the juice of half a lemon
and a generous heap of freshly grated Parmesan.
Carrots on the side, cooked with butter and rosemary.
Some bread. Organic Malbec. And honeydew melon for dessert.

Then I washed the dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment