Monday, November 23, 2009

pre-Thanksgiving weekend in the Hamptons


When it comes to weekends, I've been known to spend weekends driving around Ireland, or to hop the border from Nepal into India and take in the Taj Mahal on the pretext of renewing my visa, or more recently, to fly up to Mazar-e-Sharif for some Uzbek naan and linger for hours at the shrine of Hazrat Ali. But a weekend in the Hamptons? This is rather unexpected. At some point I might have even claimed irreconcilable with my conception of myself.

But there I was, in the Hamptons, out to lunch with friends. Then later drinking wine after a superb homemade dinner, discussing church politics and the quirks of newly married life, as five couples (my husband and four of his friends, all married within the last year) spent the weekend together in one friend's brother's house. I had a good time.

This presents me with challenge: how to "travel light" through this stage of my journey? How to take delight in good food and conversation while remaining mindful of hunger and oppression in the world. How to hold competing demands, passions, interests, opportunities in balance. How to live joyfully and simply in the place where I find myself. How to avoid both self-indulgence and self-righteous judgementalism.

It's not easy for me. But I am seeking a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment