I love doing first gyn exams.
Because they can be scary, but don't have to be.
Because they can be informative and empowering, and should be.
Yesterday I saw a 17 year old who came in with her mom (who at the end said, "What days are you here? I want my other daughter to come see you too") and we talked about breast exams and birth control and how the exam shouldn't hurt, but if it did she had to tell me because the pain would be my fault, not hers. (It wasn't until midwifery school that I realized that what the doctor had told me at my first exam was totally wrong. I am perfectly normal, her technique was just bad.)
Last week I did a first exam for a 60 year old lady straight from China. She had a full row of gold teeth and had never seen a doctor-- Not even when I had my four babies! I did it all myself! I even cut the cord! She pantomimed to great effect, using the scissors on my desk. Afterward she shook my hands and thanked my profusely in Cantonese. And it sounded sweet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love this! I was just talking to my roommates about how cool it would be to be an ob/gyn or midwife for this exact reason! My first gyn exam was informative and empowering- which was great b/c was terrified out of my mind. Props to you and everyone else who is professional, empowering, and awesome.
ReplyDeleteI am taking a gyn class this term and loving it. At my school we practice on each other, rather than bringing in outside models, which is a great learning experience and really motivates me to learn how to be gentle!
ReplyDelete