The theme for the International Day of the Midwife (5 May) is "The world needs midwives now more than ever." Afghanistan surely does. Maternal and neonatal statistics here are still abysmal, but being at the congress today, amid hundreds of committed, competent, courageous women, I dare to believe in a brighter, healthier future for Afghanistan's moms, babies, and families.
Sunday, May 3, 2009
Yes We Can!
Today was the first day of the 5th annual congress of the Afghan Midwives Association and as I looked across the 500 midwives from across the country who gathered at a hotel in Shar-e-Naw, I marveled at the tenacity of these women--who a decade ago were banned from studying or practicing midwifery. Even just getting to Kabul for this meeting is a major feat for those coming from some provinces. And this is an event to celebrate. The midwives showed up in high heels and bright lipstick and sequined head scarves. I knew I couldn't compete, even in my silk kurta and Dansko mary janes, but my colleagues kissed me and pulled me down to sit with them anyway.
The theme for the International Day of the Midwife (5 May) is "The world needs midwives now more than ever." Afghanistan surely does. Maternal and neonatal statistics here are still abysmal, but being at the congress today, amid hundreds of committed, competent, courageous women, I dare to believe in a brighter, healthier future for Afghanistan's moms, babies, and families.
The theme for the International Day of the Midwife (5 May) is "The world needs midwives now more than ever." Afghanistan surely does. Maternal and neonatal statistics here are still abysmal, but being at the congress today, amid hundreds of committed, competent, courageous women, I dare to believe in a brighter, healthier future for Afghanistan's moms, babies, and families.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment