Sunday, January 25, 2009

catching babies/catching on

This morning, not five minutes after I'd said to the triage midwife, "She got to fully dilated after just two hours of labor, I think she'll deliver quickly" and she replied "It's her first baby, it will be some time" and sent her to the labor (as opposed to delivery room), a baby literally fell into my hands. While I was crouched beside the mom on the floor.

I'd sat by the patient because she was sent to the room all alone and the sister-in-law had said the patient's mother had died three days earlier, so I figured she was probably sad and scared. Well, the baby on the floor caused quite a hullabaloo. Afghanistan is a shame culture, so no one likes to be wrong. And they tend to blame others, so the triage midwife said to me, "Why didn't you move her to delivery when her contractions got closer together?" Ummm, maybe because her contraction pattern was no different from when she was in the triage room, and there was no other midwife in the room and since I don't speak Dari yet, I couldn't just drag her to the other room and plunk her on a table.

At the end of the day, mom and baby are fine.

And I got a taste of the challenges that lie ahead.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for creating your blog. We will enjoy following your posts. Blessings....Brian & Freddie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I didn't know it was a shame culture. Much like Japan in that way, eh?

    ReplyDelete